The farm is 25 hectares in extent and is situated eight kilometres west of Stellenbosch in one of South Africas prime red wine producing regions. Stellenbosch was founded by Commander Simon van der Stell in 1679 as a new settlement for the Dutch colonists of the Cape of Good Hope. This created a centre for the growth of a new community, and one in which from the beginning wine was to form a major element. Free burgher farmers were released from their duties in the Dutch East India Company and along with new settlers began to work their own land. Past records name the farm as Schuldpadvlei and later as Goedgelegen. The present name of Boschkloof is derived from the appearance of a natural ravine or "kloof" on the farm. It is overgrown with trees and bushes and several wild lifespecies reside here, including small deer, porcupines, mongoose, game fowl etc.